Saturday, August 11, 2012

The true definition of a professional


In school, I was introduced to the concept of counseling been a craft. This is a concept that I have often told about on the blog. I feel like that I’ve never really explained what I meant about the concept of being a craft. I would like to take this opportunity to discuss how I understand this concept now as a very young profession.


How do I define my craft? My craft is counseling. It is the craft of establishing helping relationships with people. It is certain to craft a of listening, and withholding judgment. This is a profession that I have committed myself to practicing, and developing my skills as a professional. I recognize that this is going to be a lifelong process. I will be constantly developing as a counseling professional. I will be acquiring the skills necessary to cope with my clients achieve the potential that they already have.
I would say from the beginning that I believe I am a green professional. I have a lot of class to knowledge established. I have had the opportunity to provide counseling to a couple of individuals. I am, still learning what it means to be a counseling professional. I recognize over the next couple of euros, that if I’m going to improve my skills as a professional I must commit myself to grow both professionally and personally. I am planning to go into greater detail about personal growth in a future blog. All I am doing right now is honing my craft as a Professional.
One of my professors and mentors has emphasized that the true definition of a professional, is someone that will be willing to do anything if it would mean that they will be able to practice their craft. This is something that has resonated with me, even in my counseling theories course when I came across this for the first time. I am constantly amazed at this statement.

My sister in law, and my brother are very worried that I might burn myself because of the job that I do. I am not going to lie to you and say that the population that I am working with is a easy population to deal with. I often don’t talk to my family what I see on a day-to-day basis as a professional. One of the ways that I prevent this is I am constantly doing something different. I’m involved in So Many Different Activities to Practice My Craft. I Am Involved in Individual Counseling. I Conduct Assessments with a Very Good Private Practice. I Do Pro Bono Counseling for a Couple of Organizations. I Am Beginning to Provide Counseling to individuals with developmental disabilities. I provide supportive employment services. Outside of counseling, I conduct research. I also present at conferences. I am actively involved with the disability rights movement in the state of Florida.

You can say that I am involved with a lot of stuff. I do this for a couple reasons. The main reason is I want to be able to prevent burnout. The other reasons I am constantly looking for different ways to challenge my craft, and grow in how I practice this craft. I have been very blessed, with the opportunities that I have been afforded to me as I look to practice my craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment