Sunday, August 19, 2012

The importance of communication


Let me say from the beginning that this blog is not meant to attack the media. This blog is also not meant to be a political blog. This blog is also not meant to discuss my beliefs about the employment for individuals with disabilities. This particular blog post is meant to discuss how we communicate about individuals with disabilities.
As many of you know, the Republican national convention will be coming to the Tampa Bay area. This is a very exciting time for some people in Tampa. For some people in Tampa, they will be outraged with the convention coming to town. Overall the next couple of weeks, we will be having 10,000 to 15,000 individuals coming into the Tampa Bay area. This will be a big boost for the area economy. One of newspapers in the Tampa Bay area, the Tampa Bay times has been providing fantastic coverage about the preparation for the convention. In the article published Friday, August 17 discussed the preparation of party bags for the convention. Now when I look at this article, I just passed it by without a second look. Like I often did you, I always come back and look at articles that I find this interesting. Assisting in the preparation of these party bags, is a organization called McDonald training center. This is a organization that provides support to individuals with disabilities. Now I am very strong feelings about this organization, which I will not get into on this blog. In the title of the article it stated that these individuals with developmental disabilities have little interest in politics.

Now I’m someone that has been involved in the disability rights movement, for a long period of time I find this very offensive on several fronts. The statement that individuals with developmental disabilities have no interest in politics, is simply not true. I should know. I have a developmental disability. Now many of you may be scratching your head right now. Cerebral palsy is classified as a developmental disability. Basically, a developmental disability is any delay in a individuals development. Specifically for me, my speech was delayed, and I was delayed in walking.

I believe that what the times was trying to apply it was that individuals with intellectual disabilities, which is also a developmental disability have no interest in being involved in the political process. This is also not true, and really offensive. I have friends that have been classified as having a intellectual disability. I don’t look at disability, including those with intellectual disabilities. I see them for who they are. They are as a person. Not a disabled person. But a person that has much to contribute to society, outside of a disability.

Now I recognize that this was not done intentionally. I just don’t like how it was communicated. Individuals with disabilities can participate in the political process, if we provide them with the right support. This election is very important. We have two candidates, with very different ideas of what is best for America. It is important for all citizens to participate in the political process, especially those with developmental disabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment