Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Counseling, advocacy, research


Good evening everyone, I have everyone’s having a good day. I would like to say thank you for being followers of my blog. I have truly discovered my passion for blogging. I would like to take this opportunity to talk to you about some of changes in my blog. You could say that this is a follow-up to my previous blog.

This blog will be written from the perspective of a student. Even though I have graduated, I went to take the postural of being a student of the craft of counseling. I believe that we always have something to learn as we practice that’s chosen profession. This blog will be written from that perspective.

I also want to begin to integrate my thought about the disability rights movement. This is the movement that I have been very blessed to participate in. I recognize, that I am not the absolute exporter of this movement. I do want to be able to, have a form that will allow me to give my perspectives on this very important movement.

Also my job responsibilities will be changing. I still provide counseling to people. I am beginning a new type of counseling, with individual that have developmental disabilities. I will also be providing supportive employment, to this population. I will also be conducting evaluations for a different agency altogether. My professional life is about to get very busy. I hope to share with you my journey as I begin this new stage in my professional life.

As of many of you know, my long-term goal is to pursue a doctorate in counselor education and supervision. To do this, I will be pursuing research related to self determination, and self advocacy for individuals with disabilities. Also I want to focus on counseling professionals with disabilities as a area of research. I hope to use this as a vehicle to update you guys about what I am working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment