Sunday, May 22, 2011

What exactly do I do?

Hello everyone. This is my first blog of any substance. It is my goal in published blog postings between 2 to 3 times a week. This will be on various topics related to the counseling profession. So I am dedicated the first couple of blog articles to letting you guys know me as a counseling professional. Why am I doing this? I think it is very important for you guys to understand where I am coming from in the counseling field. Let me say from the beginning that this blog is not meant to be a substitute for counseling. I am not a license mental health professional. I am a master's student in a rehabilitation and mental health counseling program. What does that mean exactly? Rehabilitation means employment of individuals with disabilities. Mental health counseling, helps individuals deal with emotions. Now notice that I did not say that mental health counseling is about helping clients deal with mental health issues. That is any of mental health counseling, but that's the only area of counseling. It is about helping individuals or groups facilitate some type of personal change. The client is the one doing all the work, I am the one just facilitating the process.
What type of clients do I like providing counseling to? Now I am still a student. Right now I specialized in providing counseling in several areas of the population. I like to provide treatment to individuals dealing with chronic medical conditions and disabilities. I also enjoyed providing marriage and family counseling services. These are the two areas that I enjoy providing treatment to. Now I know that there are areas of counseling that I want to explore. I would like to explore working with individuals dealing with significant trauma. What do I mean by this? This could be issues of abuse, and domestic violence. Now I know that I will need additional training to do this. This is the great thing about the profession of counseling. You always have to receive additional training to keep up your skills as a counselor.
I am also actively involved in research. I will be published in the academic article with a colleague, later this year. I have a very active research agenda. Right now I'm having an interest in counselors values and believes. I also have a interest in the disability rights movement, and marriage and family therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment