Saturday, May 28, 2011

Justice delayed is justice denied.

I did not want to make this blog about politics. Obviously I can't dictate how the government will dictate policy, and  how I feel as a mental health professional I must respond. Today's blog that was originally going to be published will not happen, it will be published on Tuesday. I would like to talk a little bit about politics. The governor has signed a budget. Before he signed the budget he used his authority to get rid of certain items in the budget. He has every right to do this Constitution. This is a common thing that happens. It is meant to get rid of funding that was wasteful. One of the items he got rid of, was $100,000 for a organization family justice center.  It is a organization that provides one-stop access to survivors of domestic violence. They provide treatment, and support to this population.

This is a mistake. The family justice center, is not a organization that is a waste of tax money. They provide life-saving support to individuals in the most horrible situations that you could imagine. I had difficulty imagining what domestic violence, before I began my time at Metropolitan ministries. It is my belief that as a mental health professional is to advocate on behalf of my client's, who often cannot advocate for them self's. Issues of domestic violence has become a advocacy issues for me. Just like disability rights. I am right now very angry at the governor for the decision that he has made. One of my colleagues, is the executive director of the family justice center. I guess I am a little bit outrage with the decision that he has made.

What is going to happen to to the family Justice Center? I am having difficulty imagining what would happened if they would close. I am very concerned about this. I have a friend in the disability rights movement that says your budget reflects your values. I believe this decision that could be life changing to some people. If the family Justice Center was too close, it could be life ending to some people. This is the reality of domestic violence. Domestic violence is a plague on the community, that must be stopped. This is a tragedy for the community. The community must figure out ways to keep the family Justice Center operational.

No comments:

Post a Comment