Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The theoretical concepts of counseling

So this is part two of helping you guys get to know me as a professional counselor. So I guess I should begin by talking a little bit about my theoretical prospective on counseling. Your theoretical orientation gives you a roadmap in the counseling process. It provides you with a guide to help clients achieve change. Now I am still very young as a mental health professional, so I am still developing my theoretical perspective on counseling. I have been influenced by different type of counseling schools.
 
I believe that the therapeutic relationship is the primary vehicle for change my job in the relationship is to facilitate the counseling process. My job is to provide a safe place of my clients, that they can accomplish the change that they need accomplice. I want to be able provide a environment, that will allow my clients deal with some very difficult issues.


I have been influenced by positive psychology. I like to focus on what is good with my clients, and try to build upon what is good. I don't like to focus on my clients weaknesses, I always try to focus on what is good with my clients.

I have also been influenced by the creative side of counseling. I have had supervisor that was very much into psychodrama. Psychodrama is a very powerful tool to use with clients. I am right now interested in gestalt psychotherapy is the way to work with clients.
I am also a marriage and family therapist. So part of my theoretical orientation is the systems perspective. The systems perspective believes that the client is the relationship. The systems perspective focuses on the relationship. I am not going get into systems theory, this will be a topic for a future blog.
 
Why do I talk about why theoretical orientation? I believe it is very important for the individuals reading this blog to understand my beliefs on what counseling is. If someone was going to ask what my theoretical orientation is? I would probably say that I have been influenced by many of the great schools of counseling. I guess you can say that I am truly a student of many types counseling theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment