Friday, December 23, 2011

reflections on this Christmas season

This week I was a coffee shop with my dad. We were talking about Christmas. I told my dad that my dream gift was a iPad. Now I recognize that a iPad is a very expensive gift. So I know that this is not going to happen this holiday season. But we were talking about what my dream gift was.

Also this week I read a press release from success for kids and families, a organization that I have been affiliated with for a long time. Also this organization is the site for my internship next semester. I would like to include a statement from this press release. This is from the executive director of success for kids , Who is also a colleague of mine.she was talking about what success for kids is doing for their families this holiday season .  "Even though the average gifting amount is enough to get the kids a cool electronics toy-most of the kids themselves have asked for something really practical this year-like ‘a pair of shoes without holes in em'- or ‘my first pair of jeans that are not hand-me-downs"

As I reflect on this statement, I am beginning to wonder what is the true meaning of Christmas. I asked for a a iPad, and these kids ask for stuff like shoes and what they need to survive . I have seen a lot of stuff as a mental-health counseling professionals, that I never saw before. My experiences, have given me the opportunity to work with individuals that do not want iPad, they just want stuff to survive the next day. I read about these stories all the time, and I am beginning to see just how heartbreaking these stories can be.

It didn't used to be this way. I have now had the opportunity to workfor phenomenal organizations, that seek to help individuals in these kinds of situations. I know now that the meaning of Christmas cannot be the gifts that you get, because some people do not receive gifts. They do not have a family and friends to you with on Christmas Day. The greatest gift that they will ask for, is a gift that will let them survive. 

As I write this, I recognize how fortunate I am this Christmas season. I recognize that I will be able to spend time with friends and family. I might get a couple gifts. But the opportunity to spend time with family and friends will be the greatest gift of all.


Merry Christmas my friends. I hope you have the opportunity to spend time with loved ones this holiday season. Peace, and God bless.
Richard Chapman, on the profession 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work Rich! Merry Christmas. You are better off waiting for the iPad 3 anyway.....

    ReplyDelete