Friday, April 15, 2016

Reflections on a unique individual and why the show must go on

For the last couple of days I have been struggling how to write this blog. It does not happen to me often, but I really struggled finding what to say. However, I am going to it to write this memorial piece.

To a lot of us, Gary was more than just another person in our lives. He was a gifted teacher, someone that provide mentorship and guidance. He was a an extraordinary human being and probably one of the most sarcastic and insightful individuals you would ever meet. I had the privilege of knowing him as my major professor in graduate school. He was the one that interviewed me for my Masters program. He gave me a chance in the Department of rehabilitation and mental health counseling. He challenged me to become a better therapist and a better man. He challenged us all.

Up until the last two weeks of his life, he was still practicing. He knew that he was dying, however he knew he also had a obligation to his clients. A obligation to terminate successfully. For him, regardless of the wicked wit that he possessed the ethics of this profession and the obligation to his client was what was important to him. In the wards of Dr. D, the show must go on.

Thank you for what you have done for me both professionally and personally. Again, thank you for introducing me to this extraordinary profession as a mental health counselor. I still, channel you when I am working with clients and students alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment