Monday, November 14, 2011

life does not have guarantees, neither does counseling.

So to this blog is about ethics. Ethics is something that I keep very seriously as a professional. I believe that you have to. Every class we talk about the ethical aspects of this profession. We even have a class on the legal and ethical implications of mental health counseling. I always believed that you need to have high ethical standards.

So I want to bring a real life ethical scenario to you. So one of my colleagues, who is someone that I have a lot of respect for is a professional was talking about a article that was published in a community news paper. This article was written by 2 mental health professional. One of them is a license psychologist, and one of them is a license mental health counselor. The article stated that they do advertising for mental health coaching services. They will also making some guarantees about the services that they provide. I have a couple problems with this article. One of the people that was featured in this article is a colleague, that I have a lot of respect for. He also has some different perspectives on the nature of counseling. So this is why I was taken back on the article. I am not saying that he is not a competent professional. What I am saying is that the article, made some statements that should not have been made. We can never guarantee anything in this profession. It all depends on a lot of other things. Second, I am a mental health counselor professional. I am not a mental health coach. I don't even know what a mental health coach is. We always need to be careful to say the right thing about what we do to the general public. I don't believe that my colleague was trying to be unethical. What I am saying is statements should have been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment