Thursday, August 25, 2011

Reevaluating my assumptions about group therapy

On Monday began the first day of the new semester. Typically I am very excited about beginning a new academic semester. This semester is no exception. I am very excited about beginning in this semester, even though I know this will probably be one of the most busiest semesters of my graduate program. I have classes. I have a couple classes with a significant is requirement. I'm also going to be involved in some disability advocacy activities. I had some speaking engagements coming that I will be involved with. I am so going to be traveling to Washington DC to participate in a review of a federal grant program. Even though I have a lot of activity is going on in my life my first priority has always been school.
One of the classes that the I am the most excited about is my of group psychotherapy class. This class will probably be one of the most intense classes of the semester. I have recently been exploring the issue of group psychotherapy. I have some experience with the facilitation of groups. When I was at Metropolitan ministries, a local homeless shelter.I co facilitated two groups. One was a employment group for the client's. I also was involved with a dialectical behavior therapy group. The employment group was a mixed bag. I didn't really enjoy it. The dialectical behavioral therapy group, was an interesting group, but I thought it was a little bit too psychoeducational. I do understand the importance of this type of group. Even though At times I had difficulty understanding the materials.  I felt not very passionate about reading these groups. In preparation for the semester I have been reviewing information on group psychotherapy. What I am discovering is that I may have underestimated the power of groups. I have had a renewed interest in groups. I think that in groups might be a very powerful treatment option for client's. I'm especially digging into psychodrama, and gestalt therapy groups. I will talk to you more about these treatment methodologies in future blogs.
One of the most important things about the group psychotherapy class is the opportunity for personal exploration. This is one of the unique things about a program in mental health counseling. During this class we will have the opportunity not only to lead a psychotherapy group, but to participate as a participate in a group. I believe that the only way that you can acquire the knowledge necessary to facilitate a group, is to participate in a group. I will keep you updated with how this is going to go. I'm sure that it is going to be a very interesting semester. Maybe what I believe about groups is incorrect. I'm excited to see what this semester will turn out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment