Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The privileges of this profession

Folks I talked about some of the hazards of this profession. I would like to talk about some of the privileges.

So as I begin to get into this profession, I recognize how much of a privilege it is to be able to do you what we do. Sometimes what we do require those of us in the profession to do stuff that we never thought we would have to do. I am thinking about issues of reporting child abuse, performing suicide risk assessments, and involuntary placement someone in the hospital against their will. As a license mental health professional I have this privilege, and this responsibility. I do not take this for granted. I recognize how much this is a responsibility. This is why it is also a privilege. As a 25-year-old I never saw that I would have this privilege and responsibility. This is not something that I take for granted. Often I feel that we are often we do not know what we are doing. We only go with the client takes us. Sometimes it takes us on a wonderful joining. e Often times it takes us to a place of pain for that individual. I believe that we must be able to be able to form a strong therapeutic relationship with the client. I believe that this therapeutic relationship is the primary vehicle for change in that individual. For that reason I am still very person centered. I am also interested in the utilization of other theoretical vehicles.
Because of what we have to do sometimes, we need to have a good group of people to back us up. This includes supervisors. Supervisors have been there before, they know how to get you through the difficult issues. We need family. People that don't know about some of the stuff we have seen. People that just love us for who we are. We need community. We need people around us that are willing to support us no matter what. We also need administrators that will keep the doors open so that we will be able to practice our craft. We also need to recognize that we are not superheroes. We cannot do everything. We cannot help every client. On the other hand, we need to go in with the belief that we can help every client.
All of the big three issues that I talked about above have such a gravity on the situation. I was talking to a colleague today. She was talking about what she was doing at the internship that she is that right now. She made me realize that what we do is definitely a privilege. The training that we do is meant to get us ready for what we must do. We must be willing to do stuff, at times makes us feel a little bit uncomfortable. This is the true privilege of this profession. All I can say is I am in awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment