Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Go slow the impact of social media and technology on the profession

I believe that social media has been a fantastic evolution for American society. Now I have to say that I have a Facebook account. I check it multiple times a day. I will send notification about this blog when I published in out on Facebook. For various reasons I am been thinking about the impact of the social media revolution has on the mental health counseling profession. They are too many questions that I have about the whole ethical issue of social media and mental health counseling. Do not get me wrong, the ethical codes that govern the profession do not specifically talk about social media. So one could argue that the use of social media in the counseling profession is absolutely ethical. On the other hand I believe there are too many questions that causes a ethical black hole. I believe it is definitely a boundary crossing, to have a client on your Facebook page. Now I am saying that clients cannot follow a professional social media page. For example, I know of some mental health professionals that have a professional Facebook page meant to attract new business with clients. This is completely ethical in my opinion. I also believe that technology itself get in the way of the therapeutic relationship it self. I feel that with technology that we are just trying to make counseling easy. As I said before, counseling is not easy. In fact it is very difficult. If you look at the founders of the great schools of counseling, they have not been impacted by the social media revolution. In fact they did not have the benefit of social media. Now I am not saying that we need to stop using technologies, what I am saying is we need to go very slow with this. This is only my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment