Monday, July 11, 2011

The challenge: going back to a new environment

Between August of 2010, and may of 2011 was probably the most challenging, and rewarding work I have ever done. I was counseling student assigned to Metropolitan ministries, a homeless shelter for families, children, and single women. This was definitely very challenging for me. It was my first time in a counseling type of environment. A lot of changes happening why I was there. I have developed a little bit more grey hare since my time there. There is something very unique about a Metropolitan ministries client. This is something that you can only understand by spending some time at Metropolitan. I was able to get some very good supervision. In many ways my time at Metropolitan made me very passionate about the profession. I took the job very seriously.
Although I enjoyed my time at Metropolitan, I was ready to leave in May. I needed a break. This is just something that happens in the profession. So I am looking to do my final placement beginning next spring. Now it will be a full-time placement. I decided that I wanted to go back to Metropolitan, for half of the time I need. I am very excited about this. I know that I will be able to be challenged Metropolitan. I am passionate about the client's. I am passionate about the organization. This will be only half my internship. The other will be at a case management agency. I know that this will be a different experience for me. Due to the nature of the population, everything would have change. I will have new challenges that I must deal with. I look forward to going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment