Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A right of passage: the counseling theories exam, or did I make a mistake in applying for the program

So I am going to talk about what everyone is talking about on Facebook. One of the most difficult classes we have in the program is called counseling theories. This class is not only the most difficult class in the program, but also it has one of the difficult exams we have to take in the program. Now some people absolutely hate it. Some people even believe that the exam is absolutely evil. I on the other hand, have a totally different opinion. Yes this exam is difficult. In fact it is one of the most difficult exams that I have had to take in the program. But I believe that this exam has to be difficult. I believe this exam must be difficult, because we will be dealing with people's lives. This is the fact. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a easy client, so we cannot just take the easy way out, and not really know good theory . Having a good concept of theory is absolutely essential, so that we can help clients succeed in life. This type of exam, will allow us to have knowledge of good theory.

1 comment:

  1. The exam in question was no doubt difficult. But, as always, preparation is the key. I got an 80-something and was happy with that. My technique was to memorize many "canned" questions and responses for the various theories, and it worked well. TIME was the main issue in my opinion. Hope you did well..... Jeff Rose

    ReplyDelete