Saturday, November 16, 2013

Get involved: the importance of joining professional organizations

A s a graduate student we discuss the importance of becoming involved in professional organizations. My professor taught me the importance of this. However I did not listen to them. I am beginning to recognize that I should’ve listened to them a long time ago. I am happy to say that I have finally decided to get involved in professional organizations related to the mental health counseling profession.

I went to a meeting of the Suncoast mental health counseling Association. This association is the organization that represents mental health counseling professionals in a six County region. They host training related to the profession I am involved with. They are a affiliate of the Florida mental health counseling Association and the American mental health counseling Association. I am happy to say that I am now a member of this organization. This is something that I should of gone a long time ago.

I have been involved in cases recently who are members of my profession took advantage of the clients that they serve. They violated the sacred trust that a client places in us. I trust that said that I will not take advantage of you because you are vulnerable in my office. I trust that state that I will treat you with dignity and respect regardless of the circumstances that have bought you to my office. I trust that state that outside of a few special circumstances anything that you would say to me is private and confidential.

I now recognize the importants of the community involved with professional organizations. These organizations set values for this prestigious profession. These organizations provide for opportunities for networking and mentorship for younger profession in the field. These organizations protect the public from unethical practitioners.

I am now a proud member of the Suncoast mental health counseling Association. I am encouraging all of my colleagues to get involved at some level in professional organizations. I believe that this is the critical to do. This is a privilege that we get to do every day and we need to have standard for are profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment