Monday, December 10, 2012

The process of writing


I remember clearly distinctively having a conversation with a colleague of mine about the stresses of this profession. She is someone that I respect, and who is a trusted friend and colleague. At the time I was having difficulty managing my own stress at my job as a counselor. I believe I was a student at the time. She suggested that I write my thoughts and ideas down on paper. Ever since that time writing has it been a refuge for me. It has been a way to relieve stress and anxiety from my day-to-day life. Music also does the same thing for me. However, this blog is not about music that is about writing our thoughts and feelings. I choose to write because it alleviates my day-to-day anxiety.
 
I am not always felt this way. I remember a time when I used to hate to write. I’m a member time well I would have to receive help to write my thoughts and ideas down. I used to struggle with writing. Over the past couple of years, writing has given me a outlet to express my thoughts and feelings. It has been very useful to me, and especially when having problems with my job.
I hate to admit, but I have not done this much writing and I like to over the past couple of months. Initially I thought it would because I was too busy. Now I am beginning to see that my writing has a direct correlation between how stress I am. The past couple of months has been very stressful for me as a professional. Do not get me wrong, I am having the time of my life. However, the type of walk that I am doing does it generate some stress.
 
I came to this conclusion, a couple of weeks ago when I took my vacation for Thanksgiving. The weeks before Thanksgiving, having been very stressful. I was dealing with a lot of very complex client issues, and that need to be addressed. I think it is important for me to find effective ways to alleviate stress and anxiety. I recognize that I have not been doing writing, as a way to do this. If I am going to be able to be in the profession for the long haul, I must find ways to cope with stress. I am making a commitment to you that I will be trying to write more on a weekly basis. I think it is important to give my perspective on counseling and disability advocacy.
 
So to sum up, why is it that I write? Writing is a outlet to get my thoughts and ideas out to a public audience. Writing is a way for me to alleviate stress. Writing is away from me to document what is going on in life for me. I hope to continue to share with you my personal thoughts about counseling, about life and disability advocacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment